Wednesday, August 9, 2023

The Psychedelic Furs - Mirror Moves (1984)

Dan:

I was never a big fan of punk rock and I don't remember if Mirror Moves arrived in our home courtesy of Steve or myself. It's a great album, regardless of subgenre. It has hits and reasonably good production, given that this was actually the post-punk period where grungy sound was no longer obligatory. I suppose it was called New Wave at the time. Now that New Wave is Old Wave, I'd prefer to avoid labeling it as anything but rock and roll. 

The key to the whole album is Richard Butler's songwriting and singing. The band offers supportive bass, guitar, percussion, saxophone, and limited keyboards, thereby avoiding the pitfalls of excess synthesizers typical of the era. There are plenty of rough edges by design, but most of them come from Butler's edgy vocals.

I can't compare the songwriting to The Psychedelic Furs' earlier albums because I still have limited exposure to their music. Steve gave me a compilation CD to rip, but except for "Sister Europe" I only liked the songs on Mirror Moves. In fact, I like ALL of the songs on Mirror Moves, which is not what I would have expected from any album with punk associations. Those associations may have more to do with the posturing, hairstyles, and garments worn by the band. A blindfold test might result in some interesting guesswork about Mirror Moves' genre and era of the band.

A few songs on Mirror Moves stand with my favorite rock songs of any genre. The opener "The Ghost in You" is a catchy tune with a nice arrangement. The first few lilting bars over Tim Butler's steady bass figures set the scene for Richard's raspy but always articulate vocals. The song has a nice construction around the melodic bridge. "Here Come Cowboys" follows with a more repetitive beat over semi-tonic chord changes. "Heaven" and "Heartbeat" close out one of the most unexpectedly brilliant set of songs on a single side. Side 2 almost lives up to the excellence of side 1. The best songs are "Alice's House" and the closer "Highwire Days." 

My experience with Mirror Moves has shaped my approach to genres that I don't spend much time with. Amidst run-of-the-mill rock may lie the proverbial diamonds in the rough. The Psychedelic Furs clearly earn that status with Mirror Moves.

Steve:

I first heard of The Psychedelic Furs in 1982, when my friend Tim played me their new single "Love My Way". He introduced me to a lot of new groups in those days before the punk/post-punk bands truly began to infiltrate my collection (other bands I owe him thanks for include The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Jam, and Talking Heads). "Love My Way" was only a minor US hit (peaking at #44 on the Billboard Hot 100), but it helped the post-punk genre to gradually gain a foothold in popular consciousness in the 80s. More importantly, it was a fantastic song, with an immediately recognizable marimba lick (played by producer Todd Rundgren) and a woozy, trippy instrumental arrangement and vocal sound. The single and the album it occupied, Forever Now, made me an instant fan, so I was ready and waiting for the next installment.  

As good as Mirror Moves is overall, side 1 really stands out. In general, I think it's risky to open a rock album with a ballad, but "The Ghost in You" is no ordinary ballad. The chorus section totally soars with added rhythmic drive, ethereal backing vocals, thick chords, and an arpeggiated vocal melody that resembles the well-known Westminster church bell chime (the one that goes bong bong bong bongggg... bong bong bong bongggg .... oh wait, you can't hear it when I type it). "Here Come Cowboys", the second track, may be even better, picking up the tempo for a driving rock tune and simpler chord structure, but with an equally resonant vocal melody. "Heaven" has it both ways, somehow maintaining the tenderness of a ballad while being at an even faster tempo than "Cowboys". Again, the vocal melody is insanely good. Finally, the thrill and danger of a night on the town is perfectly captured in "Heartbeat", which features Mars Williams who toured with the band despite being a full-time member of The Waitresses.

I saw The Psychedelic Furs in concert twice during the 80s, and the tour supporting Mirror Moves was my first. I purchased a t-shirt at the show, and although I have since outgrown it (in girth if not in height) it has been lovingly passed down to my wife (also a fan), who wears it frequently. I believe the two of us are going to have yet another opportunity to see the band live in the coming months. I am fairly certain that even nearly thirty years later, the set list will feature several Mirror Moves tracks - it is an album that has aged very well and lost none of its appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrap Up - Our Final Post

We've reached the end of our project, having posted joint reviews of 130 albums and including comments on many others as part of our com...