Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Hawkwind - Space Bandits (1990)

Dan:

As I wrote before, I only have room for two Hawkwind albums in my collection. Hall of the Mountain Grill is their masterpiece, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Space Bandits. Keeping in mind that I have barely scratched the surface of Hawkwind's huge discography, my comments are purely expressions of my own humble opinion. 

When I was vetting the half dozen or so Hawkwind albums that Steve had loaned me, Space Bandits grabbed my attention because of its first three tracks, which are honestly the only ones I listen to very often. "Images" leads off in rocking style but suspends the driving beat after two verses for a tempo-free interlude during which the voice of Bridget Wishart enters crying the anguished lyrics:

It's gone now
It's gone now
Twist the soul
Turn flesh to stone
The fear and the anger
Of the lost and alone

The song then resumes after a brief guitar solo, coming to a riotous end after the earlier verses are repeated. It's a wild ride lasting almost ten minutes. 

Without the interlude by Wishart, I doubt that I would have paid much attention to "Images." I know she only had a brief stay with the band (1989-1991), but it made a strong positive impression on me. 

The second song, "Black Elk Speaks," is even more intriguing. Over a steady tom tom 4-beat, the muffled voice of Black Elk (spoken by John Niehardt) recites a prayer to Grandfather, the creator. Black Elk was a true historical figure in the Oglala Sioux Nation, survived wars against the Whites, and died in 1950. The prayer beseeches Grandfather to:

Teach me to walk the soft earth, a relative to all that is! Sweeten my heart
And fill me with life. Give me the strength to understand, and the eyes
To see. Help me for without you I am nothing. Hetchetu aloh!

Hetchetu aloh translates as "It is so indeed."

Midway through the prayer the rhythm intensifies as Wishart takes over the narration, speaking what appears to be Grandfather's response to the prayer: 

So go on my friend
And sing with the healing spirit
With the magic of the ground
With the magic of the earth
And you will spring to life
Through the power of the words
Through the magic of the ground
Through the magic of the earth

There is every indication that the inclusion of "Black Elk Speaks" is sincere and free of irony or cynicism. This track is inspiring and stunning.

Track 3 follows with bassist Alan Davey's "Wings," a condemnation of the devastation laid upon birds by human pollution.
It is also sincere and impactful.

I remember where they once flew
Where they sang to the morning dew
Now their wings are soaked in oil
Caged wings that can't unfurl
No longer do we hear them sing
No longer do we hear the fluttering
Of wings

A percentage of the royalties for the song were donated to The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. 

Call me "woke" if you like; I'm a proud sucker for socially conscious lyrics, especially when they're woven into albums by frenzied rock bands like Hawkwind. 

Steve:

I'm thankful that Space Bandits is among the first Hawkwind albums I acquired. It showed up in a used CD store (The CD Solution in Miami) and it was a frequent spin from the get-go, and I recall Dan getting into it fairly early on too. As a 1990 release, it stands well outside the supposed "classic era" of this 70s prog/psych band, and thus if I had discovered the band purely by recommendations and reviews by prog publications, I probably wouldn't have encountered it yet. Hawkwind have dozens of releases to their credit and it's easy for the post-glory-years albums to get lost in the shuffle. But as I've found through the years, now with a Hawkwind collection in the double digits, the band always delivers entertaining albums, even if they mostly repeat themselves.  

As with Dan, the first three tracks are also my main focus, though I was surprised to learn of the context surrounding "Black Elk Speaks" from Dan's review above. Yet another reminder that if I paid attention to lyrics more, I could enjoy a lot of this music on a deeper level. From my vantage point, "Black Elk Speaks" had always been an ominous and atmospheric mood piece with prerecorded voices. "Images" was always a favorite, with its energetic tempo, gutsy guitar chords, elongated structure, and Bridget Wishart's excellent vocal. Too bad she didn't do more with the band. The lyrics were definitely not lost on me with "Wings", Alan Davey's environmental lament with a touching lyric and serene instrumental arrangement, which always gives me the visual image of a sunset on the beach.

Albums like this have taught me that virtually any studio Hawkwind album is worth a listen. However, scavengers of the used CD racks should beware of any of a hundred cheapo compilation/live releases that are in circulation, some of which are of very poor quality. Do your homework on the band, and if it's part of the band's official discography, it's hard to go wrong with Hawkwind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrap Up - Our Final Post

We've reached the end of our project, having posted joint reviews of 130 albums and including comments on many others as part of our com...